Share this story:
According to TIME magazine, Scout Willis, daughter of Demi Moore and Bruce Willis, walked around New York topless. Yes topless. She claimed to be protesting against a social media app, Instagram, for making it impossible for their users to post either naked or half naked pictures of themselves. Willis also defended her “shirtlessness” saying “ women should be allowed to show their nipples on social media as a matter of female empowerment and gender equality.” Willis is a supporter of instagram feminism. This new “trend” is teaching young girls that in order for women to be equal to men, we need to go around half naked and push the fear of being called a hoe, slut, etc. all aside. As well as a fear of being sexually abused, or harassed. I disagree with their methods because I know there are other ways for women to show that men are no greater than them.
- Do you have instagram? How often do you use it?
- In your own opinion, what is feminism?
- Do you believe these Instagram feminist correctly uphold the idea of feminism?
- How do you think this influences our society in any type of way?
- What do you see Instagram as?