Share this story:
Human trafficking happens all over the world even in the United States. Sexual human trafficking is one of the most common forms of trafficking. Its defined as forcing women, children and even men into being sex slaves. This is similar to prostitution but prostitution is usually local unlike sex trafficking which can happen internationally. Sex trafficking includes pornography and prostitution in exchange for goods and money.
Each year about 800,000 women and children are trafficked across international borders according to soroptimist.org. The way sex trafficking usually happens is hidden. Many people don’t realize that sex trafficking is that major but almost every city or country has sex trafficking.
As a young girl living in Fruitvale in Oakland, California I hate seeing all those girls on the streets. I constantly see them and some are so young even as young as eleven years old. I constantly fear when I walk through my city that I could get taken or be forced into a horrible job like this. Even though I don’t know anyone that has been forced into sexual trafficking I still feel that this is one of my biggest fears.
Society has let sex trafficking be okay because you constantly see it in movies and on T.V. but I don’t think its okay at all. Girl’s lives are being taken from them when they still haven’t even found themselves yet.
- Were you aware of this topic and know that it was a major problem today?
- How do you feel when you hear about humans being used as sex slaves?
- What would you do or feel if you ever were in the position if you knew someone being sexually trafficked?
- What do you think the best solution is for this problem?
- How do you feel constantly seeing society putting sex trafficking out majorly in the world like it isn’t a bad thing?